One of our own needs our help!

October 16, 2008 · Filed Under Basic Training, Care Packages, Household6, One of our own, This & That

I received this information today and it nearly broke my heart! (actually it brought me to tears)  I thought I HAVE to do something for this young man! As many of us living this life know , we are one BIG military family. Well… one of our own needs our help!

For those not in the military…if you have ever wondered “what can I do for our wounded warriors”, well THIS IS IT!!!! You can read his story below …

If you would like to send cards, letters and/or care packages… please let me know. You can email me at tammy . munson @ gmail . com (don’t include spaces) We are not publishing this soldiers’ email address on the internet for his safety and security.

Thanks – Tammy aka Household6 (and PZ Techmama too)
x-posted at ArmyHousehold6.com

_____________________________________________

From 1SG Brian M. Disque

He was in my company and was wounded on 9 May, 2008 while conducting combat operations in East Baghdad. He received a very serious injury to his face, resulting in the loss of his entire bone structure, mouth, nose, and vision.

He was evacuated to Walter Reed Hospital where the doctors performed numerous surgeries to repair his

face. I was fortunate enough to attend a Purple Heart Ceremony at Walter Reed while I was home on leave in June. I was also able to meet with Hunter’s father Beau.

Hunter was then transferred to a VA hospital in California, where the best care for his vision would be available. He is a true fighter with a heart of gold.

Bad News

Unfortunately, I received some bad news from the hospital doctors. Lately, he has been resisting treatment and being somewhat combative with the hospital staff. He has had a few outbursts and the staff is real worried about him. It seems like a serious case of depression is setting in.

Although his wounds on the outside may look bad, they may never compare with the wounds he has on the inside.

I spoke with him on the phone this evening, and he seemed real down. The reality is that he still has a long road to recover and may never see again. This young man has everything to live for and is a true inspiration. He is exactly the kind of person we would all want in a brother, son, or friend. I feel obligated to try and rally some support for him. I know we have a lot of caring people out there who would love to do something special for an outstanding American who gave his all for his country.

Call to Action

If you know of any church groups, school room classes, or other benevolent organizations that would be interested in assisting this brave young man, please forward this message on to them.

He is a pretty typical young man, so he likes sports and other typical young men stuff. A small care package with some goodies and such would mean the world.

Again, please forward this message to as many people as you know. It would be so great if we can all give way together and show Hunter that his country will never forget his sacrifices or service. He is down and needs our help.

Thank you for your support, it means everything.

V/R,
1SG Brian M. Disque
C CO 2-30 IN

“Our Country, Not Ourselves!”

Comments

57 Responses to “One of our own needs our help!”

1. Semper Fi Wife on October 17th, 2008 10:46 pm

We owe him no less…and so much more…

This post has been sent on to other folks who will want to help too.

Thanks so much for letting folks know about him.

2. Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler » A Warrior In Need on October 21st, 2008 12:14 am

[...] There is a wounded warrior in the VA hospital in Palo Alto that needs our help. Blackfive has some info here, and the call to arms is here. [...]

3. Michelle Malkin » Help lift up a wounded soldier on October 21st, 2008 1:27 am

[...] Read: I know a young man who is in desperate need of help. His name is PFC Hunter Levine. He is 20 years old and hails from Houston, TX. [...]

4. Jeremy on October 21st, 2008 1:48 am

What can be said?

God bless Hunter and his family. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. He needs to be shown that there is a grateful nation.

5. c-dog on October 21st, 2008 2:00 am

it is so sad to see our best and brightest get wounded, maimed, and killed.

i hope complete victory comes soon, so we can leave, never return, and END THE BUSINESS OF NATION BUILDING!

God bless the military

6. mindy abraham on October 21st, 2008 2:28 am

I just emailed-hope I can help

7. Mary Ann on October 21st, 2008 2:38 am

How can we help?

8. robert e grigsby on October 21st, 2008 2:56 am

I am the owner of a singles ministry. i can assist single GI’s in a very unique way: letters from compassionate members of opposite sex would be willing to write very nice mail, lifting up spirits in a way that a letter from a friend or relative may not be able to.

Robert E. Grigsby
    574-498-6777
    Tippecanoe, Indiana

9. john albritton on October 21st, 2008 3:02 am

How do civilians contact this soldier? Is there a website we can go to?

10. Mark Levin Fan » Blog Archive » Army PFC Hunter Levine needs our help on October 21st, 2008 3:23 am

[...] READ THE REST. Here is an email address to Tammy tammy.munson@gmail.com at the Parents Zone. Find a way to support PFC Hunter Levine.   [link] [...]

11. JihadGene on October 21st, 2008 3:34 am

Putting the word out in central California. Have passed the word to Patriot Guard Riders north of me and nearer to Palo Alto. Posted on my blog as well.

12. The Underground Conservative | Support the troops on October 21st, 2008 3:47 am

[...] PFC Levine is now in the VA hospital in Palo Alto California, but he’s seriously depressed. A care package, card, or letter would be nice. Find out how to help at the very excellent ParentsZone blog for military families. [...]

13. Gay Carroll on October 21st, 2008 3:59 am

I am giving money right away. Where do I send it? (I need to read the details.)

What a wonderful gesture on your birthday. Happy birthday.

glc

14. Tim Meaux on October 21st, 2008 4:19 am

I am the father of two sons who have been good friends of Hunter throughout High School. My wife and I spoke to Hunter last week and he is unbelievably in good spirits. He wants to come home and with his Father, Beau, we are planning a coming home party for the young Hero. I just wanted to mention one thing Hunter said before he went to Iraq to show what kind of Patriot he is. He said he would willingly risk his life to protect us and his family and other friends while in Iraq. I don’t think he would change his opinion now and he told me he wishes he could go back to his friends in Iraq. Tim

15. Help One of America's Finest in a Crucial Time of Need | The Daily Conservative on October 21st, 2008 6:11 am

[...] Here are the details: [...]

16. ruth thompson on October 21st, 2008 1:49 pm

please give an address where we can send care packages, and any other information – like what are his favorite sports teams, treats, etc. this soldier deserves all of our support and prayers!

17. Julia Anderson on October 21st, 2008 1:57 pm

May God richly bless PFC Hunter Levine. I pray that he will be going home soon with his Father, Beau, and hope that his heart will be overflowing with the love he receives by those who will honor him at his coming home party. What a true Patriot. What exceptional, brave, heart-driven, and bright young men and women serve this great country. God bless you, PFC Levine. I look forward to updates on his recovery.

18. sonofdy on October 21st, 2008 1:59 pm

PFC, brother, you are never alone while I breathe.

19. Marie Manganello on October 21st, 2008 2:34 pm

Where & what can we send?

20. Kerry McCaslin on October 21st, 2008 2:58 pm

Please forward information to my e mail on where to send cards, packages and information on Hunter.
    As a retired military family we would like to pass on our love and support to this brave young man. God bless the U.S.A. and the men and women who serve to protect their country and others around the world!

21. Janna &Johnny Johnson on October 21st, 2008 3:22 pm

Please forward his address we would love to help.
    Our prayers are with you and our sincere appreciation for your service to our country.
    Blessing,
    Janna

22. Glenn Barfield on October 21st, 2008 3:24 pm

I lost my leg in an accident that also took the life of the woman I loved. I wanted to die and sometimes thought of ways I could do it to make it look like an accident. Even today, 16 years later I still feel the pain of that day. One thought pulled me through, one thought pushed me back into life, so long as you’re alive there are chances, opportunities, possibilities. I’ve come a long way since those painful days, I fell in love again, married and we have two great boys. I have an excellent job and enjoy life. Hunter, live, not for the sake of your nation, family or friends, live for the sake of your future. You can’t see it right now, but it’s there. I know that all around you is a dark grey cloud of pain and despair. You will get through it. As Winston Churchill once said, “When you’re in hell, keep going, don’t stop.”

23. A Wounded Soldier Needs Your Help | THE HOT JOINTS on October 21st, 2008 3:25 pm

[...] HERE to help. Send an e-mail to Tammy Munson and let her know if you can send cards, care packages, [...]

24. Coco Burget on October 21st, 2008 4:38 pm

Please forward me an address where I can send a care package to him.
    We would love to bless and honor him,
    Thanks so much,

25. Denise on October 21st, 2008 7:10 pm

Please let me know where we can send cards and letters to this hero. My heart and my prayers go out to him and his family.

26. MilBlogs on October 21st, 2008 8:13 pm

Re: Soldier Needs Some Support…

Yesterday I posted about PFC Hunter Levine. The post on Parents Zone was bumped up so the links originally posted don’t work… but here’s the story explaining the need of this soldier with life changing wounds… and HERE is the……

27. Update on PFC Hunter Levine | Parents Zone on October 21st, 2008 10:50 pm

[...] To read Hunter’s story click here [...]

28. David Barth on October 21st, 2008 11:21 pm

Hunter, Keep up the good fight brother !!! I am behind you all the way and I will say a prayer a prayer for you tonight. Ooooaaah !!

29. MilBlogs on October 21st, 2008 11:26 pm

A Soldier Needs Some Support & Encouragement (Updated)…

Over at Parents Zone, Household6 has posted the story of 20 year old PFC Hunter Levine who was wounded in May while conducting combat operations in East Baghdad. He received a very serious injury to his face, resulting in the……

30. Lorna on October 21st, 2008 11:42 pm

Thank you for your sacrifice. Life is precious, no matter what. You are a fine young man, who would make any mother proud. People love you and pray for you, people you do not even know, but they still love and pray for you. Best wishes and get well.

31. Barbara Park on October 22nd, 2008 12:53 am

Hi! Our church (Valley Fourth Memorial)has a ministry called H.O.M.E. (Helping our Military Eternally) and we are packing and sending boxes out early next week. We would consider it an honor to include Hunter in our list of heroes. Please send his address and we’ll be sure to send him not only goodies but cards from children thanking him for his service. Check our website at http://home-spokane.org/
    Thank you, Barbara Park, H.O.M.E. Committee Member

32. Allen Thorpe on October 22nd, 2008 1:09 am

Words fail me, Hunter. I can only pray that in your loneliest hours God will take you in the arms of his love and whisper comfort and peace to your soul.

I cannot say why you and not some other man or woman drew this lot, but I am sure that there is love, understanding and peace that passes all understanding for you who have ventured greatly on our behalf.

If I could take your wounds and give you back your youth and future, I would do so in a heartbeat. You and so many others like you are dear to me, and I can never pay that debt. I can only prayer that God will do so for me and all of us.

33. RTZielke on October 22nd, 2008 1:19 am

My heart and prayers our out for all are heros serving in Iraq and afganistan and around the world
    I have a niece and nephiew serving right know and cusins too
    I’m proud of them and proud of Mr.Hunter
    hearts and prayers
    rt zielke

34. Paula Pollard on October 22nd, 2008 2:16 pm

My brothers and sisters in Christ,
    My words are inadequate to encourage our dear brother Hunter.
    “Though He slay me, yet will I trust in HIM”
    Job 13:15
    Our hearts are knit together to comfort, and in all ways to support our dear,”cast down but not destroyed”, 2Cor 4:9 brother Hunter. Through our prayers the Lord will renew Hunter’s mind, and heart. Thank God we have eachother to unify in strength to pull our dear brother up out of despair. God will show him a new way out of this wilderness. I know HE will.
    We are all diligently praying for you Hunter. I have joy, hope, and confidence for a great outcome for him. Give all glory to our God through Christ our Lord.
    Paula, Independence, Missouri

35. Tukumek on October 22nd, 2008 3:17 pm

My prayers go to PFC Hunter and his family . God give Hunder streingh .Hope someone is with him , like reading for him and listening to what he is going though . God Pless

36. Terry on October 22nd, 2008 8:30 pm

Please send Hunter’s address so we can support him. We too have a son in the Army and my heart goes out to Hunter and his family. T

37. Lisa & John on October 22nd, 2008 10:42 pm

What to say?? THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING US AND OUR FAMILIES! All of our best wishes to you and may God’s blessings be upon you in your journeys ahead of you. All of our love to you, Lisa & John

38. Norma Nunamaker on October 23rd, 2008 11:14 pm

I am in the state of Washington and belong to a goup that supports our troops. I have notified all our volunteers to pray for Hunter and we will be sneding him many items. I have contacted Tammy and she is getting me more information.

May God hold Hunter in his arms. Hugs, to Hunter.
    Norma

39. Beth Yeager on October 24th, 2008 9:22 pm

The Yeager Family in Houston (Spring) holds Hunter before our Lord Jesus Christ, asking Him to bless Hunter and his family. Our prayers are with you always, Hunter.

40. PFC Hunter Levine - Time for Some Spiritual Warfare | PoliticsMuch.com on October 25th, 2008 8:45 pm

[...] go here to the Parents’ Zone to read about the plight of PFC Hunter Levine.  His story is one of courage and strength.  But, at times, even the strongest of us need [...]

41. Maryclair Thomas on October 27th, 2008 12:56 pm

I will be teaching an art class to 7th graders in Menlo Park,CA today. We will create a special piece-to deliver to the true hero- PFC Hunter Levine!The children and I will continue to pray for a complete recovery!

42. Nancie on October 28th, 2008 11:42 am

I am praying for him. Please email me an address that I can send him some of my handmade gifts. May God shower His mercies upon his young heart.

43. Carrs on October 30th, 2008 1:09 pm

Hunter:

We pray that God will strengthen your mind and body. We appreciate that you have given so much so that all of us can live in this country, free to worship our God. It is because of great men like you that will fight the fight, that keeps us free. God bless you Hunter.

44. Nathan Trigilio on October 30th, 2008 6:49 pm

I don’t know what to say, i went to high school with Hunter i wasn’t the closest to him, but i remember talking about working out and girls and such at lunch, i Had no idea he was in service let alone injured until today, when i read about it i cried, you are a hero and a legend in my mind. You are the reason i sit comfortably at college bullshiting around and postponing real adulthood like so many here do. You are more of a man than i will i ever be and your bravery and honor will always be remembered by me. If i could i would bow down in front of you and give the respect a true warrior deserves. I havn’t prayed in years but i will for you.

45. Maryal Boumann, Chaplain on October 31st, 2008 12:24 am

Dear Hunter,
    El Dorado County Military Family Support Group sent information and the link to Parents Zone so I sent it on to my sister who lives in Menlo Park. She and her two sons read about you and all of them were deeply deeply touched. Her oldest son Zachary and his 7th grade class made a big card and a candle along with a photo of them (Yeh, the guys stood still long enough for her to take a photo for you!) My sister said she delivered the things to the hospital yesterday. I had the privilege of speaking with you on the phone earlier this week….I asked what I could pray for you besides healing and complete restoration….you thanked me and said what you really need is SLEEP! So I pray the Lord wraps His Arms of Love and Peace around you and tucks you in daily with a hug and a kiss on the cheek!

Hunter, both little and big boys (and girls!) all over the country are hearing your story and realizing what a sacrifice you and others who have gone before you are making for this great country, for our freedom. You are an inspiration and whether you realize it or not yet, if you let Him, one day soon God will use you in a most powerful and wonderful way to help and encourage thousands of others. In the meantime, please know that the United States of America is proud of you and loves you very much…and the note from your high school buddy Nathan brought tears to my eyes! He is a fantastic example of the effect your life is having on others and hey, PRAISE THE LORD, Nathan is praying again because of you! (Nathan, you are named after one mighty man in the Bible!) GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GOD BLESS HUNTER! In Christ’s love, with a smile, Maryal+ P.S. My sister Maryclair (the one in Menlo Park) said she’d be happy to bake your favorite cookies or cake! So let me/her know if you’d like some sweet homemade treats! I would do it but I live up in Placerville plus she doesn’t burn cookies as badly as I do, tee hee….

46. Rho Brown on October 31st, 2008 11:30 pm

Tonight is the start of the Jewish Sabbath and our family will pray for Hunter’s recovery through a lovely prayer called Mi Shebeirach, when we bless those in need of healing , the renewal of body and the renewal of spirit. we will say Hunter’s name aloud so our whole congregation can join in . Let us say Amen.
    PS. We live within walking distance to the VA in Palo Alto and are in contact with a group who will try to visit, in person, when Hunter is “up for it”.

47. Megan on November 5th, 2008 6:02 pm

Many of our children at my church have written cards and made gifts for Hunter, and we are wondering where to send these things as we cannot find and address.

48. toni on November 6th, 2008 1:17 pm

I would also like to do something. Any address and likes / dislikes detail is appreciated. He deserves so much support. Thanks.

49. Beverly Barrow on November 7th, 2008 1:58 am

Hunter, You are truly a blessing and an inspiration to everyone.As terrible as it is , we don’t know what God’s plan is for you—– perhaps to teach us all some important lessons— one being to value and appreciate the life He gave us, He will alwaysa be there for you if you place all your trust in Him .
    BE STRONG!
    BE COURAGEOUS!
    DO NOT BE AFRAID
    FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD WILLBE WITH YOU
    HE WILL NEITHER FAIL YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU
    Deut. 31:6

50. 2bluestarmom on November 7th, 2008 2:33 pm

How precious are the souls who lay down their lives for another.

We can never know the emptiness or degree of despair these who come home, feel.

We can pray for them daily and get involved by contacting organization who are well equipped financially, spiritually, physically and psychologically to assist them in the healing process.

Please keep us updated on his progress!

God Bless our Troops and their families

51. Cathy LeVine on November 10th, 2008 8:18 pm

OMG…Hunter is home in Houston…Thanks to the Lord!! Prayer is a powerful force…thanks to all !!

Cathy

52. Tk on November 16th, 2008 8:32 pm

Wonderufl news that Hunter is home in Houston!

I am in the hopes being home lifts his spirits and helps his healing and recovery.

Is Hunter aware of Nick Popaditch (aka Cigar Marine)? Nick was a tank commander who was photographed smoking a cigar the day we initially entered Baghdad…this photograph circulated around the world and became a symbol to many of us of the joy and celebration the folks in Iraq experienced at that moment in time. Almost one year to the day after that photo was taken Nick took an RPG round to the head. It was devistating to say the least. I have taken the liberty of notifying Nick and his wife of Hunter’s situation. Lord works in mysterious ways…who knows…

I have added Hunter to my prayer list.

I am a proud Blue Star mom of a tanker somewhere near Sadr City Iraq.

53. Patti on November 16th, 2008 10:23 pm

I just heard about Hunter through my church, The Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, CA 92804

I’m so sorry to hear about this terrible incident.

Hunter and family, you will be in my prayers. Keep Hope and Faith in your hearts and know God will help you through all of this! Hunter is alive for a reason.

Please send me an address so I can get something off in the mail.

Thank you Hunter for all you have done to keep us all safe. Big hugs and kisses. Don’t ever give up!

54. Jim on January 3rd, 2009 4:18 am

Hello,
    I have been disabled by an injury in the military after 21 years (USMC/Army Natinal Guard)
    I just came accross this post and would like to let PFC Levine know that it does tkae some time to find our purpose again but it is there. I have been in pain for aprx 3 yrs and some change and am just starting to look to communicate with others but still only wanting to talk to other people that understand the world that I am in. It is a step ahead but I still have along way to go. Support is the best and sometimes we just need to be alone because of all the stuff going on in our heads and then we are fine for a while–this will go on and on for a while and as long as we get that time to think we are ok. It seems like noone understands and my doctors said that most people canot understand being in constant pain for a long time. We train to improvise overcome and adapt and we will in our own way but being pushed is not the way. Give him time and learn to see when he is feeling the need to be just left alone and that will help a lot. It is easy to do because everyone learns how do do things like driving –we learn to know if the car comming the other way is going to stop or not. God bless PFC Levine, his family, friends, commrades, caregivers and community.

55. Patricia on January 19th, 2009 4:12 am

01/18/2009
    I recently sent a card to PFC Levine and it was returned, not at that address. Is there a new address so we can continue to send cards? Thanks.
    Patricia

56. Heidi Epstein on October 3rd, 2009 2:34 pm

I went to junior high school and high school with Hunter. I always thought of Hunter as a great athlete. He was always very polite and always took time out of his school day to see how other people were doing. Hunter is a hero. I admire his bravery for enlisting in the military and I hope that he knows that everyone, the United States of America, admires him for his bold courage. Not many people could fill his shoes. I hope for miracles and that Hunter will be able to recover smoothly. GOD BLESS!

57. Heidi Epstein on October 3rd, 2009 2:42 pm

p.s. If Hunter can read this: Your manners stood out the most to me. I remember eating lunch with you EVERY day! You would buy the chicken fried steak and create the most perfect looking sandwiches by cutting the chicken to fit the roll perfectly, spreading the mashed potatoes on top, and putting it all into the cafeteria rolls. You also introduced me to my favorite sandwich which is stacked high with turkey chicken and/or roast beef with mustard!! I miss you Hunter!! I am so proud of you!