Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay

Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay

What is it?

Soldiers, veterans and survivors of those whose service was involuntarily extended under Stop Loss between September 11, 2001 and September 30, 2008 can apply to receive $500 for every month, or portion of a month, they served under Stop Loss. The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act established and largely funded the payment for all military services, but dictated that each service process and pay their own applicants. The Army estimates that 136,000 of the approximately 174,000 eligible servicemembers served in the Army.

What has the Army done?

The Army has created an application process for active-and-reserve component Soldiers, veterans, and survivors of Soldiers to process claims for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay. By law, the Army can only accept claims between October 21, 2009 and October 21, 2010. Eligible candidates must submit their request within this time frame, or the Army will not be able to process their request. The Army has set up an email address to field questions people have regarding the benefit.

How can people apply?

Candidates for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay must submit a claim at Retroactive Stop Loss Web site . This Web site is the preferred method for submitting applications; however, other means for doing so, such as by mail or fax, will be available to those without access to computers. Additional communications will provide instructions for alternative forms of submission. During the application process, candidates will be asked to show documentation that indicates the time they served under Stop Loss. The necessary documentation, depending on their type of service, includes the following:

  • Enlisted Soldiers need to present their DD Form 214 and DD Form 4 Enlistment/Reenlistment/Extension contract(s).
  • Enlisted Soldiers who were in an indefinite status need a memorandum showing retirement/separation request was denied or an approved retirement/ separation was amended.
  • Officers need a DD Form 214 and memorandum showing Retirement/ Separation request was denied or an approved retirement/separation was amended.
  • National Guard Soldiers need to show DA Form 4187 for Stop Loss adjustment of ETS, separation documentation NGB Form 22, and/or NGB Form 1966.
  • What continued efforts does the Army have planned for the future?

    The Army will review, process and pay qualified candidates as they submit their applications at Retroactive Stop Loss Web site. Candidates who meet the criteria and show the required documentation will receive their retroactive payment in a one lump sum. The Army will not accept applications submitted after October 21, 2010.

    Resources: Retroactive Stop Loss Web site


    11 Responses to “Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay”

    1. SibNuts on October 28th, 2009 8:11 pm

      Does Anyone know how long it will take to get the money? I emailed the Address provided for the Army and got nothing back.

    2. Miguel on October 29th, 2009 2:24 pm

      What would happend if i only hvae my DD 214 and not my DD 4

    3. LAW on October 30th, 2009 10:49 am

      We’ll try to find out for you. Are you Vets? if so, try IAVA – Here’s their DC office phone number

    4. Paul on November 2nd, 2009 1:47 pm

      I have also sent the information and have not heard anything, tried to access the “special web site” they set up from several different computers with no luck. I am also trying to find out how you can check the status.

    5. Angela on November 12th, 2009 11:37 pm

      I am experiencing the same problem. Since the intial e-mail stating they received my claim, I haven’t heard a word… I tried e-mailing the address provided twice and have had no responses. It would be nice to know the status of my claim.

    6. LAW on November 14th, 2009 2:06 am

      I asked a friend at MOAA – Sue Hoppin – who writes the Spouse Blog. She contacted the Military Pay guy – who had just written this piece. I’m sorry, with everything else going on, I didn’t post it here.

      Unfortunately, there isn’t any word of how to check status and how long it is taking. We are going to keep checking. As soon as we hear anything at all, we’ll post it.


    7. ray hare on November 19th, 2009 2:41 pm

      I applied when the site first opened and yesterday got an email that said I was not on the “stop loss master list” (no such list) and my records would have to be verified with my OMPF, which is funny because I sent them an original enlistment contract with my ets date and then a reenlistment contract starting several months later. All info they asked for on the site and all info thats on my OMPF. Why even ask me to waste my time uploading files. This whole process is a joke so far.

    8. og on November 20th, 2009 5:28 pm

      I submitted my stop-loss claim on 09 NOV and received an email containing the following on 18 NOV:

      “Your claim has been checked against the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), your claim has been approved and will be forwarded to DFAS for payment.”

      I was in the Army Reserve when I was on stop-loss. The dates I claimed were the day after my ETS until the end of my paid leave that I used up after we de-mobilized. My DD Form 214 did not show that I was stop-lossed nor did it say anything about being held for X-amount of days after my ETS. I did not have any order, nor do I remember ever having an order, that specifically stated I was under stop-loss orders. The forms I submitted were DD Form 4 (reenlistment contract showing when my ETS should have been) and my DD Form 214.

      I haven’t received my payment yet. But it sounds like this went much smoother for me than it has for others. I hope this helps somebody out there and I sincerely hope those that deserve this payment get every cent of it.

    9. The mountain man on November 20th, 2009 7:36 pm

      a copy of your DD-Form 4 can be aquired at the HRC website, you need to log in with your AKO login. They have issued out more then 2000 checks so far, as of 2 weeks ago. I hvae yet to get mine(for an 18month period). If you reenlisted the process will take longer because they have to dig to find it on thier own end. you actually don’t have to turn in any information at all, but the process will take longer then the rest. Their is only one person at the other end of that Email address given, think any of you can reply to 100,000+ Emails quickly? people should write thier senetor’s and congressmen to make the different military organizations start an automated claim status website.

    10. Mrs H on November 23rd, 2009 9:01 pm

      og on November 20th, 2009 5:28 pm posed above that he submitted exactly we we did for my husband and has received the same reply… Funny enough on the same dates Nov 9th and 18th…

      I am thinking (hoping) that payments will be like normal LES and be issued on the 1st and 15th after they have been sent over to DFAS…

      Hey one can only hope – and since I have requested direct deposit and my husband is no longer in the military I await the third – that would be the the first + 2 days for my bank to process…… I’ll keep you posted…. but I’m not spending the mortgage money on Christmas just yet… Hey I know how military processes “work” ….

    11. Michael Crickman on December 12th, 2009 1:30 am

      I decide to send all the forms required by mail two days after it was posted. Today on the 11 of dec. i received a $50 check, i was stoplossed for over 10 months. Thats $5 dollars a month not $500. Anyone know any thing else.

    Leave a Reply

    CommentLuv badge

    WP-SpamFree by Pole Position Marketing